Tuesday 21 December 2010

Latest Purchase - Patti Smith

Patti Smith - Horses (Music on Vinyl)



I'd thought for ages that I wouldn't really like this record, but I was wrong. I heard most of it at a party a while back and I almost couldn't believe it when my mate told me what it was. I've been listening to a copy of this for a bit while I've been looking for the record. I've been playing a few songs off it a lot recently, so I eventually ran out of patience waiting for a cheap copy and just bought a new copy from amazon of all places.

I think this record gets treated as quite a big deal, it seems to be on lots of lists of the greatest albums ever and that sort of thing. I reckon there could be some justification for it all. From the first line of the first song (Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine) onwards, its clear that this record is driven by Patti's lyrics and delivery. which are both unusual and distinctive.


I like most of the songs and they cover a bit of a range, from shorter poppier or punkier things to sprawling improvisations. There are times when its all quite delicate, but others where it's almost menacing. I've got favourites that I keep playing as well. I'll add videos for some of these.




No comments:

Post a Comment