Thursday 30 September 2010

Latest Purchase - Model 500

Model 500 - OFI/Huesca (R&S)



I have to say that I was very excited when I first heard of this release, the first new Model 500 record in over 10 years. The truly legendary innovator Juan Atkins has been releasing records on his Metroplex label since the mid 80s and a number of them are among my all time favourites.

Add to that the fact the Mad Mike has joined in along with some of his Underground Resistance acolytes and I really didn't need any more convincing. I was so certain it would be good that I bought it without listening to it first.  I was not disappointed. I picked it up in rubadub almost a week ago now and I have been playing it over and over since.  

OFI shows the new line up have updated the classic Model 500 sound of bassline, processed vocals and electro percussion.  But what a bassline this time!  Only UR make this kind of wonky electronic funk, and it's been a while since it was as fine as this. 

The breakdown comes from nowhere and disappears as fast, but the melty synths that come in are so sweet. Then it's back to the bassline and the boom. This all adds up to a stunner for me, if a little odd in places.


Mad Mike remixes OFI on the same side where he strips it back, boosting the vocals and arpeggios and a adding a wee bit of acid burble.  Very Kraftwerk. Very good. I love the way he twists the arpeggio around, it sounds a bit like he could be playing guitar to me, but who knows?

On the other side you'll find Huesca, which sounds so Detroit it hurts.  It's more 4:4 than OFI, and the overall effect puts me in mind of top notch Red Planet or Galaxy 2 Galaxy, but still with a distinct Model 500 flavour. Right up my street.

This is a fucking awesome single and I really hope I don't have to wait another 10 years for the next one. This collaboration has brought the best out in everyone and reminds me why I love Detroit music so much.






No comments:

Post a Comment