Wednesday 9 February 2011

Latest Purchase - RZA

RZA/Various Artists - Ghost Dog: The Album (Epic Records)






I guess it must just have been sloppy research, but I'd managed to convince myself that you could only get this selection of songs on cd. I'd thought the only Ghost Dog vinyl was the excellent soundtrack that Rothko has. That record is all the instrumentals that appeared in the movie. The movie is odd, but I recommend having a look, although some of my mates would have it in their list of Worst Ever.

I nearly burst with excitement when I saw that there was a vinyl version of these songs while putting together the page of my most played tunes of last year. 

Produced and masterminded by RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan and featuring the Wu and their extended clan, this is an album of songs that I guess are inspired by the movie and use many of the instrumentals from the soundtrack. I've longed to get this on record since I heard it, which is so far back it's lost in the haze of pre-history (maybe 8 years ago?). I have loads of favourites from this album but I'll just add videos rather than blether on about how good they all are.

I sometimes find that finally getting a record I've been hunting for ages can seem to take some of the shine from the songs, as if the fact that I just couldn't own the songs made them all the sweeter. Not an issue with this album though. I'm just frankly delighted to have it in my paws at last and it's getting a lot of plays. Certainty for going in the bag to play out as well.  




1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Awesome album. Amazing film, no matter what anyone else has to say - Coffee and Cigarettes is a celebrity love-in in comparison. Looking forward to hearing more played out from this. Strange Eyes is still my favourite by far...

    ReplyDelete