Friday 28 January 2011

Latest Purchase - The Dirtbombs

The Dirtbombs - Ultraglide In Black (In The Red Records)


I must confess that before a few weeks ago I had no idea who the Dirtbombs were until a casual conversation in work revealed to me that there was Detroit garage band whose next album was a set of covers of Detroit techno tunes. I've got to say that I was immediately interested. 

This album is much older and I was told about it when I stormed into Mono looking for the techno covers album. This is basically another set of cover versions, but mainly soul type stuff this time featuring songs by Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, George Clinton and Marvin Gaye among others.  Fuzz laden and live sounding, this really is exciting, hair raising gear which I can't get enough of.

I know I am prone to exaggeration and tend to get carried away, but I like this record so much and I am so excited by what I know of the coming album that I think I may be developing a new favourite band.



No comments:

Post a Comment