Wednesday 18 August 2010

Latest Purchase - Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo de Cotonou

Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo de Cotonou - The Vodoun Effect (1972-1975) (Analog Africa)





Music from Benin, which is about the first thing I've ever heard about the place other than the fact that it is a country in west Africa.

I've linked a video for one of the tracks that should give an idea of whats going on. In my mind its a mix of funk and psychedelia. 

I bought this in Mono when I couldn't get another record I wanted off this Analog Africa label. I took a bit of a gamble as you can't listen to vinyl in there, but I'd heard a couple tunes off the net so I had an idea of the odds.  The photo on the cover alone is worth a few of the 20 quid it cost.

I play another song from this album on the mix I'll be posting next.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Graham, thought I'd post a reply under this one because it sounds the best. Here's that link for you, guess you'll need to cut and paste it into your browser.

    http://www.andvinyly.com/

    ReplyDelete