Sunday 29 August 2010

Latest Purchase - !!! (chk chk chk)

!!! - Strange Weather, Isn't It? (Warp)



The fourth album by this odd-ball American outfit.  I was looking forward to this coming out as I've been following !!! for a while now.  The sound is pretty funky and the addition of a female vocalist makes the sound a little more like that of now the now defunct but similar band Out HudI've only had a couple of listens since I picked it up yesterday, but am looking forward to getting better acquainted.  I love the booming bass lines which are fairly typical of their sound

I've added a video for the first single off the album below so you can get yourself an idea what its like.









I've thought that while I'm posting about !!!, that this would be a good opportunity to highlight the song that kicked it all off for me.  Rothko picked this up first a good few years ago and played it often enough that it burrowed into my consciousness so much that I ended up obsessed with it and paying well over the odds for the single over the internet.  That started a pattern so now I've got almost all of their stuff.


I saw them live in Oran Mor a couple of years ago and they are fantastic live.  I was gutted to miss their last show at at the Arches, especially as it was effectively a free show.  I'd recommend them highly if you ever get the chance.







No comments:

Post a Comment