Tuesday 8 February 2011

Latest Purchase - Octave One

Octave One - Revisited Series 2 (430 West)


New remixes of old favourites Octave One including a version from current crush Sandwell District made this a very tempting package. One that I had no inclination to resist.

Regis and Function take on I Believe for the Sandwell District Remix. I had a listen to the original again to get a bit of perspective. I think it is Octave One's first single. The Sandwell boys have really reworked this tune with typical quality Sandwell bass, rhythm programming and atmospherics to start with. This leads on to the whole vocal and a big whiff of the best synth sounds from the original. I guess if you just heard this and didn't know all the info you could easily take it that Sandwell District had just taken a leap and put a vocal on something, but I reckon this is a top quality remix.

The original track for the flip side is drawn from one of my favourite Detroit singles. I remember before it came out there was hype about it being specially created for the tracks to really complement each other when mixed. Its true as well, they do sound great mixed and you can really play around with them.

For a record nerd like me, the fact that this record has 2 catalogue numbers and is somehow on 2 labels that I like was enough to make it noteworthy, nevermind that it was belters by UR and Octave One on either side.

I love both sides of the split single, but I had always prefered the one with the big sticker that said Aztlan.


However, listening to the new remix and looking at Discogs again has enlightened me to the fact that I've had these the wrong way round the whole time as I had no idea that the original single was mislabeled. Which has somehow unsettled me a little and belatedly added to my esteem for Octave One. 


I don't know much about Aril Brikha. I initially thought I'd prefer if he'd taken his ideas and developed them as a whole new song, but I am warming to his rework of Daystar Rising. I think I'm always a bit resistant to remixes of favourite tunes but I reckon this remix has enough going for it that I won't always reach for the original instead. Sweet, smooth techno with a busy bassline and some choice elements from the original plus some unusual synth lines that I guess are Brikha at work. Might need to check his stuff out.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment