Saturday 2 October 2010

Latest Purchase - Mazzy Star

Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly





I've just been paid again, so I went on a proper spree around the shops of Glasgow yesterday.  I got a few cool new things, a few things I'd been looking for a while and a couple of classics.

Starting with the classics, I first heard Mazzy Star in the mid 90's, a while after these records came out.  I'd already heard their predecessor Opal from a very old friend, back when I still lived in Edinburgh.  However, I always thought that good as Opal were, Mazzy Star were superior. 

Hope Sandoval's vocals are just so gorgeous and fragile and the accompaniment forms a pefect balance by being light handed and understated.  It's maybe a wee bit twee compared to much of the rest of the stuff I listen to today, but I have continued to return to these albums over and over again ever since I first heard them.

I saw this pair of brand new 180g re-issue albums in Mono yesterday and bought them immediately for about the price of an average second hand copy of just one of the originals.  Admittedly, my easy attitude to money yesterday was fuelled in part by drink, but I've been looking to get these for so long that I'm still chuffed to bits about them in the cold light of a hungover Saturday.

I've added videos for a few of the of the tracks that I reckon shine most. 




No comments:

Post a Comment