Saturday 27 November 2010

Latest Purchase - Joy Division

Joy Division - Closer (Factory)



It was my birthday the other day and I was given some cash to go treat myself.  I couldn't think of a better use than filling a few back catalogue gaps.

I shouldn't need to say much about Joy Division, other than to perhaps explain why it has taken me so long to get round to picking this up. I'd spent years under the mistaken belief that I didn't really like Joy Division, other than Love Will Tear Us Apart.  That is until I was really stuck about what to do with a voucher I'd been given for a rubbish music megastore which didn't sell records. After a long fruitless search I finally decided to take a punt on the Joy Division cd box set Heart & Soul. It really changed my mind about the band and they gradually became a favourite of mine.


As I grew to love Joy Division, I became increasingly dissatisfied with only having their stuff on cd so I inevitably started buying the albums on vinyl. Closer just happens to be the last of the official releases that I acquired. I know that not everyone understands my feeling that I don't have music properly until I have it on record, but my treatment of Joy Division is about the clearest evidence of this, given that the box set has everything and more than can be found on the albums I've bought since then.


Closer is a straight up classic album in my view. It demonstrates the breadth of the Joy Division sound, from the sound of doom through to things that on first listen appear to be quite poppy but with Ian Curtis's lyrics adding that special edge. Loads of nice synth sounds as well.


I've added videos for a couple of my favourites.





No comments:

Post a Comment