Saturday 27 November 2010

Latest Purchase - Neu!

Neu! - Neu! 2 (Gronland)



Another birthday back catalogue treat.

Neu! are a German band from the 1970's formed by guys who had previously played guitar and drums in very early Kraftwerk line ups. Their sound is based around the driving rhythms with layers of guitar noise and effects swirling over the top. I reckon it is instantly recognisable and has inspired countless influences and imitators. 

I'd always heard that they ran out of money while recording this record and only had about half an album done, forcing them to use versions of other tracks played at different speeds to pack out the tracks to make up a full record, although I have read elsewhere that this was an artistic decision rather than one born out of financial pragmatism.  I'm not sure, I still think I prefer the first explanation I heard, but irrespective of the reasons, this is effectively half an album as I don't really get much from the tracks played a different speeds.

Having said that, the remaining full tracks at the right speed add up to a solid 12" or mini album's worth of amazingness. This re-issue is pressed on lovely white vinyl, same as my version of the first album. Another item that I always felt was a big omission from my collection that I am more than happy to have filled.



No comments:

Post a Comment