Wednesday 23 February 2011

Latest Purchase - The Detroit Cobras

Detroit Cobras - Original Recordings (Munster Records)

Detroit Cobras - Mink, Rat or Rabbit (Sympathy for the Record Industry)

Detroit Cobras - Life, Love & Leaving (Sympathy for the Record Industry)

Detroit Cobras - Baby (Rough Trade) 





Ok, I'll admit it. I went a wee bit mental. I'd had a few drinks on a Saturday afternoon after a slightly disappointing trip round the shops. I'd been listening to Ultraglide in Black and was keen to hear if there was more stuff in a similar vein around. Discogs was clear and recommended nothing but a selection of Detroit Cobras albums and I'd heard the same from my DIrtbombs fan workmate.

It didn't take much internet magic to get to hear a enough of these records to get very excited by the soulful, rocking covers of obscure old tunes with awesome female lead vocals.  This really is my idea of pop music, in that I can never believe that anyone wouldn't like it. I reckon even my mum would enjoy the Detroit Cobras.

I think they might write a few songs of their own, but there is a wild selection of different songwriters credited for most the tracks, many of them a total mystery to me.  Maybe need to start digging. 


Each of the albums has a slightly different sound, but its more about the production than a change of style I think. I've only listened to the albums through a couple of times and now can't resist just jumping around between my many favourites. 


I know when I get this excited about something it can end up being fairly short lived, especially when I play the songs too often too quickly, but I'm pretty certain that there are a few tunes on these albums that will be bringing a smile to my face for a while to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment