Monday 28 February 2011

Latest Purchase - Sofrito

Sofrito: Tropical Discotheque (Strut)


Another selection I caught from Rothko when he was updating me on his latest records. He only played me a couple from tracks from this and I was convinced I had to pick it up.

The tracks Peter played me were mainly African sounds, but now that I've got it home and played it through a few times, I've found that there is an awful lot more to it than that. There are also loads of Latin sounding things from around the Caribbean and Central and South America, as well as funk from everywhere.

I've not taken to it all immediately. There is maybe a bit too much accordion for me to be won over by it all straight away, but i like the funkier stuff and there are some cool new sounds and rhythms that my ear might get tuned to, but there is at least a song a side that I reckon I'd be happy to play out. Still playing it through a lot to figure whats what. 

There are plenty of places to hear samples of this if yr interested, but I've found a couple of videos from it.





No comments:

Post a Comment