Thursday 28 October 2010

Latest Purchase - Fela Kuti

Fela Kuti - The Best of The Black President (KIF Recordings)


I've been too hooked on the Xbox recently to post, but I've still been picking up some quality selections over the last couple of weeks.  


First up is this Fela Kuti compilation. I first heard this when my friend gave me a tape of the CD version he had bought.  I guess the fact it was a tape shows it was a while ago. 


I'd always been a bit annoyed that there had never been a vinyl edtion of this best of compilation, but it finally got vinyl release in France earlier this year.

I enquired with my local shops to see if they could get it in for me, but it didn't work out so I bought it off Discogs from some dude in Belgium who happened to have another record I wanted which made the postage seem better value.

There are 12 tracks spread over 3 slabs of vinyl. The tracks showcase Fela's sound and I think they are drawn from the albums shown on the sleeve of this record. Most of the tracks clock in over 10 minutes and the band produce a solid funk sound to rival the JBs.  it maybe gets a little saxxy at times, but the drive of the rest of the band keeps me going.


I've added a couple of videos to give an idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment