Sunday 3 October 2010

Latest Purchase - Optimum

Optimum - Max Power (Planet Mu)

I'd pretty much ignored Planet Mu for most of it's history until I bought a few releases by Pinch and Gemmy.  I listen to a them when I see them now, but they tend to be a bit far out for me, just like I'd thought about the label before.

This solo debut release from Optimum almost follows suit.  The first track, Max Power is driven by ravey sounding synths, but it gets a wee bit repetitive and the drums are wee bit lightweight for the track in my view.


I'm really not very sure about the second track, Crash Riddim. It uses a similar palette of sounds to Max Power. I like the bass, but the lead synths just bug me. There are other elements that I'd like if used differently.


It's really the last track, Lily that I bought this single for. It's totally different from the other tracks on the single. The tempo has dropped, the rave is gone and has been replaced by layered washes of warm synth and smooth sub-bass. The drum programming as a bit more electro as well.  The overall effect is fairly Detroit, or possibly even puts me in mind of Virgo Four. The track is melty and melodic, but still has a steady pulse from the rhythm.
I feel this might stick with me for a bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment