Sunday 3 October 2010

Latest Purchase - Will Saul & Mike Monday

Will Saul & Mike Monday - Sequence 1 (Aus Music)
My first purchase from Aus Music. I've seen a few in rubadub before, but none of them have really clicked for me. I gave this a spin because I'd liked the remix they'd done of Ramadanman & Appleblim for Apple Pips. I was also tempted by the Scuba remix.

I'm not quite sure what is going on with the tracklist on this single.  The label says that the first side has 2 tracks, Sequence 1 and Small Moments and the other has remixes of Sequence 1 by Mount Kimbie and Scuba.  However, there is only one track on the A-side and it plays at 45 and not at 33 as stated.  I think the label is wrong, and I reckon it's the Mount Kimbie remix that is missing.  The Aus Music website seems to support this idea as it doesn't mention this mix.

The label shown above is different from mine and close scrutiny reveals that it has the Scuba remix as the lead track, with the original and Small Moments on the side with 2 tracks.  I'm going to follow that as it makes sense of whats on the record, and all the mentions of the single on the web.  What a lot of prattle about a label misprint!

I reckon the lead track Sequence 1 (Scuba Remix) is the strongest on the single.  Most of the elements are drawn from the original, but Scuba has pumped it up a fair bit, especially in the drums. He works the effects more on the synths as well.  I reckon I'll be giving this a good few plays.
Next up is the original of Sequence 1. Strange thing to say, but I reckon this track suffers a little from the remix on the other side. They are really quite similar and I just think Scuba nails it.

The original is pretty solid techno. It has nice percussion and I imagine it working well in the mix or for dancing.

Finally we get Small Moments which drops the intensity a little and has a bit of a housier sound. It has a bit of a dreamy bit with vocals in the middle, but I don't see this getting many plays.



No comments:

Post a Comment